At the WV SBDC, we will help develop your ideas and innovative new concepts so you can jumpstart a holistic commercialization strategy and complete a viable feasibility study. These initial steps will help develop your idea and provide a reference for how much startup capital you will need, in addition to identifying gaps in the marketplace. By having a trusted advisor to collaborate with throughout the technology commercialization process, you will be able to capitalize on your goals.
Innovation-Technology (In-Tech) Program
The WV SBDC’s Innovation-Technology (In-Tech) program was designed to provide no-cost, one-on-one assistance to introduce inventors and technology-based entrepreneurs to key commercialization issues such as intellectual property, alternative finance, prototyping and feasibility. The WV SBDC assists with the SBIR/STTR application process, in addition to technology transfer, IP support, licensing and product development cases.
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Investment Fund
- The next application window for SBIR/STTR Phase I and Phase II matching funds opens on January 1, 2022. Applications will be accepted from eligible WV based small businesses until midnight on January 31, 2022. No preference will be given to the order applications are received, as long as they are received by the deadline. Closed Phase I and Phase II SBIR/STTR projects are not eligible for matching funds, regardless of the award date.
Matching grant awards are subject to availability of funds, and applicants may not receive the full amount of matching funds requested.
Phase Zero applications will continue to be accepted on an ongoing basis while funds are available.
Download applications at the top of this page.
- Identifying Financial Opportunities
- The WV SBDC is prepared to assist you with your financial needs and identify early stage funding resources such as SBIR/STTR grants and contracts, venture capital, angel investors, the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Investment Fund, foundations and other alternative financing opportunities. Our In-Tech Program Director can assist with information gathering and project costs to support your efforts in preparing a fruitful proposal or application. The goal of the In-Tech program is to help get your product one step closer to commercialization and get your business ready to launch.
- The WV SBDC, in conjunction with technology partner, TechConnect WV, provides technology commercialization training workshops.
- Technology Transfer and Licensing Support
- If you need help with technology transfer and licensing agreements, the WV SBDC In-Tech Director can strategize with you to develop an agreement that works best for you.
- IP, Patent and Trademark Assistance
- When working with unique ideas and inventions, there’s a huge benefit in protecting your intellectual property sooner rather than later. The WV SBDC In-Tech Program can assist you with the necessary steps to protect your idea, process, or branding.